Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gay Rights: One Hand is as Good as Another

So a couple weeks ago I was at home reading some news headlines and I came across an article about the first “victim” of the gay marriage law passed in New York. The article talked about this county clerk who submitted their resignation because they felt it was against their religious beliefs to sign a marriage certificate for a same sex couple. No big deal to me. If they want to quit their job over something like that, that is their problem. Anyhow, I decided to take a look at the comments for the article and just as I expected, there was the usual tripe; the bible is against being gay, God hates fags and my favorite, being gay is a choice.

So after I got done reading the comments I went about my day and went to the store to pick up some last minute supplies for our family vacation. While I was out I had an epiphany. All of a sudden I thought of an argument that can be used against people who say that being gay is a choice and I call it the “hand defense”.

Rough estimates say that 70-90% of the people on the earth are right-handed. Since most of the world is right-handed, most of the world’s devices and objects are designed for right-handed people. Sure, learning how to use your other hand is possible but it requires quite a bit of work and unless you get some kind of advantage from it, such as an athlete or something like that, there isn’t much of an advantage to learning how to use both hands equally. Even if you did, most people end up using their dominant hand most of the time anyway.

Now, the same could be said for someone who is gay. Granted, lesbians, in my opinion, have an easier time being accepted in society then gay men. The point is that if everyone is born straight, why would someone “choose” to go be gay. There is absolutely no advantage to it; you get ostracized, if you have a significant other you can’t get married in most countries and in others it is a crime, you may get disowned by your family and friends, you may have to live a life of secrecy because if people find out that you are gay you can lose everything and many other possible situations.

So I want everyone to think about this argument and bring it up if you ever come across someone who says that “being gay is a choice.” Sure, people who are right-handed don’t think people who are left-handed are evil or an affront to God but I think you can see my point. I may right on this more in the future as well, so please keep your eyes and mind open.

2 comments:

  1. Good article. I would imagine that most religious zealots would say something like "You chose to be gay because you hate god and don't want to live by his perfect law! Accept his love or burn in hell!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point! Great article. Just because it's not the "most popular" hand doesn't make it invalid. I'm with you and Al Frankn!! :)

    ReplyDelete